Search This Blog

Friday, May 20, 2011

Oklahoma City


Last week I was at the Loony Bin in Oklahoma City. I always seemed to get booked in Oklahoma in May. I was worried we wouldn't have great crowds since the Thunder are in the playoffs, but the crowds weren't bad at all. Wednesday was open mic night before the show. I only caught a couple of the acts and they were pretty funny. Our mc for the week was James Draper who lives in Norman. It was his first time hosting a week, it was cool. He did a nice job and I noticed him gaining more confidence as the week went on and his sets got better. He's got some great material.

Headliner for the week was Theo Von, who I had seen before on "Road Rules" on MTV. Theo was super cool and really funny! I only watched his set the first two nights cuz I couldn't handle the smoke in the showroom. I almost lost my voice, too. Not good! But it held up fine for the shows. Theo has an awesome website www.cranktexts.com its so funny! I was up late reading some of the stuff he put on there, its hilarious.

One of the bouncers at the Loony Bin is from Fort Dodge, Iowa, which is where a lot of my family is from! Small world. The staff at the Loony Bin is awesome, everyone is really friendly. And the crowds were fantastic! Especially Sunday, it was a smaller crowd, but it was my favorite of the week. I sold way more cd's than I expected to and don't have any left for the weekend in Wichita. Sad face! And the Thunder won game 7 on Sunday, which is probably why the crowd was so great.

On Monday night, Jason Brown and I did a show at the Elks Lodge in El Reno, which was set up by my second cousin, Mark, who id never met before. He hasn't even seen my mom since the 70's. It was cool to meet him and the show wasn't that bad either. For a Monday night in El Reno anyway. We did the show and hung out a bit afterwards with Mark and his wife and a couple people from the show. I went with Jason to Tulsa and stayed at his place. Introduced him to the lovely musical stylings of Wesley Willis. Suck a polar bear's funky ass!

Oklahoma was a blast, can't wait to get back, hoping to add Tulsa to my schedule. Made some new friends with week! And you should be on twitter, follow me @funnyfletcher, Theo Von @theovon, and Jason Brown @comicjbrown!

I'm in Wichita this week with Charlie Weiner!

No comments:

Post a Comment