Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Laffs Tucson

This past weekend I performed at Laffs Comedy Club in Tucson, AZ, with Tom Sims from Phoenix and Laurie Kilmartin from LA. Both were very funny and a pleasure to work with. Had some pretty crazy crowds, which is something I'm used to in Tucson. Usually I like to just go up and do my set though. In Tucson there were quite a few hecklers, but none of them messed up any of my punchlines or anything like that, so at least the hecklers had good timing. I always love to going to Tucson, there's always a few of the local comics that come out and say hi or do guest spots. My wife got to go with me on this trip, which was awesome. Last time she met some of my friends, Jacob and Jessica, and they got along really well, so we got to hang out with them again. Jacob is a funny up and coming comic in Tucson. And he looks like a grown up version of Ernie from "Billy Madison." And he pees his pants.

The owner of Laffs, Gary Bynum, is always super cool to me. I always look forward to talking with him while I'm there. His wife and son were at the club as well. His son Casey is the manager of the club, he actually graduated from Eldorado High School in Albuquerque a year before I did. I didn't know him then though, because I moved to Albuquerque half way through my senior year. Or in Albuquerque, my senor year, with that cool thing over the n.

Overall, the shows were great though! The weather was perfect, too. The trip went by way too fast. Me, the Mrs, Jacob and Jessica had dinner at Mama's Hawaiin (sp?) Barbeque. If you ever get a chance to try it, it's on Speedway and Park. I tried the Kalua Pork, they give you a huge plate full of pork, two huge scoops of rice and macaroni salad. I barely even touched the sides, and couldn't finish all of the pork. The wife and I could have definitely shared a plate. It was awesome. (And on a side note, I just learned how to spell the word definitely. All these years I spelled it definately. But, at least I'm not one of those people that say, "your dumb." It's "you're dumb." Dummy.)

Thursday night we had a show at the Guild Theater in Albuquerque. Also on the bill were Roger Peterson, Sarah Kennedy, A.J. Martinez, and Matt Peterson. The Guild is the coolest theater in Albuquerque. They show a lot of great movies, and it's just a cool place. The guys working there were awesome, too. I think the owner's name was Keith, super cool, and Chris was there that night as well. They treated us all great. We had a pretty decent turnout for Albuquerque on a Thursday night. And I got to see my good buddy, Marc Shuter. Marc and I used to write all the time together. I miss that son of a bitch. And he told my wife he reads my blogs, even the boring sports ones. So, I hope you're reading right now, Marc. I miss hanging out with ya buddy!

So, the show went great, had a lot of fun performing at the Guild. I actually filmed part of "Mismatch.com" there back in 2005. We had one short scene we filmed there and they were cool enough to let us film. We also had a screening there for part of the Sin Fronteras Film Festival, which was wonderful! It was weird seeing myself on the big screen, but it was fun.

Next up is a show at UNM at the Rodey Theater on December 2nd! Should be a lot of fun, it's a nice big stage. Then I'll be doing Wits End in Westminster, CO, for NYE w/Spanky. Then January 4th at the M Bar in Los Angeles for part of the Laughing Skull Festival! Then I start school January 9th at CNM. We got our classes registered today, I'm gonna get my learns on.


Me on stage


Me on stage again


Jacob, Jessica, Caitlin, and me


Me, Kyle Reade, and Jacob

No comments:

Post a Comment