Search This Blog

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Laughing Skull 1st Round

Well, I advanced to the first round of the Laughing Skull Festival at Cap City Comedy Club in Austin, Texas. Here's a rundown of what went down.

MC-JR Brow: One of my favorite comics to watch, had to warm up the crowd. Always a pleasure to watch him work.
Julie Kitayama: Came from out East, had a funny set, very likable. Crappy that she had to go first, but she did a great job.
Amy Snowden: Very funny, unique comic, should have gotten a better response. She was one of my favorites of the night though.
Jim Kirkland: Very physical, funny, got great response from the crowd. And he was super cool, he took 2nd.
Stan Silliman: Only old person on the show and was very funny.
Lucas Molandes: Had the set of the night, great material. He got first place. Cool guy, too.
Rob Read: I can't remember any of his jokes right now, but he was a good writer. Also, super cool. Pretty new comic, too.
Jay Dee: Had a good set, he gets better every time I see him.
Me: Had a great set, took 3rd.
Nicholas Aluotto: Good writer, pretty dead pan.
Brian Gaar: Has some great material, with more experience he's gonna be solid.

JR introduced everyone the same, "this comic is a very good friend of mine." He did a great job the show had a nice flow to it. I worked with JR in 2003, my second road gig at Laffs in Tucson. He gave me a lot of pointers that week and I always appreciated the help. He's one of the nicest guys in the business.

Another comic closed the show, I can't remember his name. He went up without trying to be funny, it was pretty entertaining. At that point I didn't care if I placed or not, I knew I had a great set and I was happy to perform at a new club with great comics. I met most of the comics and they all seemed really cool! Seems like the have a great comedy scene in Austin.

Tonight I'm doing a set back in Albuquerque at Terrene Hookah! Should be fun, I've never done the show before. Heading to Tucson for the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment